Attorney serving Brevard County
Are you being harassed by a debt collector? There are laws that limit what debt collectors can say or do. Under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), debt collectors cannot harass a person when collecting certain types of debt.
What types of debts does the FDCPA cover?
- Credit Cards
- Other debts
What types does it not cover?
- business debts
- Repetitious phone calls that are intended to annoy, abuse, or harass you or any person answering the phone
- Obscene or profane language
- Threats of violence or harm
- Publishing lists of people who refuse to pay their debts (this does not include reporting information to a credit reporting company)
- Calling you without telling you who they are
If you live in the Melbourne, Palm Bay or Brevard County area and believe you have been harassed by a debt collector, we may be able to help.
What can you do to protect yourself?
- Keep a file of all letters or documents a debt collector sends you and copies of anything you send to a debt collector.
- Write down dates and times of conversations along with notes about what you discussed.
Keeping records can help you if you have a dispute with a debt collector, meet with a lawyer, or go to court.
Read more about how to respond when a debt collector contacts you.
In addition, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) also has sample letters that can be used to respond to a debt collector. There are also tips on how to use the letters.
Contact Faro & Crowder, PA
If you have been harassed by a debt collector, contact our Melbourne office to schedule a free initial consultation.
Attorneys Mike Faro and Chris Crowder protect individuals who are being harassed by debt collectors. Our office is located in Melbourne on Sarno Road. We offer free consultations for bankruptcy, foreclosure defense and debt collection harassment.
Faro & Crowder, PA
1801 N. Sarno Road, Suite 01
Melbourne, FL 32935